Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hello... Anybody home?

I just arrived in a town on the Namibian coast called Swakopmund. The place is deserted, it's like someone went with the old 'field of dreams' mentality of - 'if you build it they will come'.... but nobody showed up!

I have rocked up on a Tuesday arvo in the town that is dubbed the beachside adventure capital of Africa to find tumble weed rolling along the main street. The sun is shining, the ocean looks inviting, but where is everybody? A funeral has more atmosphere than this joint. I blame the Germans? Yeah, a little harsh... but hey, they built the place.

I don't only have my own room in an 8 bed dorm.... I've got my own floor! I checked into a local backpackers and they gave me the key to a building across the road. No probs, so I stroll over open the door.... it creaks a little.... 'Hello, anybody home?' My voice echo's down the hall. Nothing coming so I walk up the stairs to a landing and a hallway with doors adorning either side, but not a soul in sight. They've got room for about 50 people on that floor alone. It's like they've geared up for a world cup but forgot to put their bid in.

Anyway I'll stay here for 2 days to check out the crazy sand dunes I saw on the bus ride in... after that I'm outta here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha-I have been to Swakopmund before.It reminded me abit about Stephen King's langoliers.maybe draw a face on a volley ball and talk to that.ps.those dunes definately need more gaaaaaalic.

kav said...

dude! these pix are stunning - the falls, the animals! keep posting for those of us stuck in the office :p

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome Timmy. Please ensure you say hello to some of the original Zambian Goat Herders, I will play twice as hard for them this evening. Also, if u can, you should check out this massive arts/comedy festival in SA, looks pretty cool...

National Arts Festival.
Location: Grahamstown, South Africa
When: Annually
2010 date: 20th June - 4th July.

By the way, I watched the Socceroos sneak past NZ yesterday at the MCG, not a very impressive performance I must say.

Cheers,

Rhino...

Karen said...

U just need to be in Swakopmund on the correct night of the week and with the right people..ha ha...u should have been there a week later - HUGE party!!!! :) Stunning pics and CONGRATS for doing the hike by yourself!!