Monday, May 31, 2010

Fish River Canyon - Day 5

I made it :)
It's 11AM and I've just started on my 2nd beer. I got into Ai-Ais about 9:30AM. It's a nice spot with a big bar that conveniently opens at 10AM, though not many people are around to join me. I've definitely hit Namibia in the low season.

I didn't sleep so well last night, the sand felt as hard as concrete and I just lay right. I can't blame the evening though, another blissfully starry sky. I used the 'Southern Cross' to work out where I was heading today. It made me feel like a ship's navigator out at sea. The hike this morning was one of reflection. I didn't have a map to distract me so I let my mind continue to drift off in thought. The river crossings were also of a peaceful nature, gone the battles of the days prior. I decided to attempt this canyon on a bit of a whim and it's rewarded me greatly.

Some thing's in life you plan to enjoy.... other things you just enjoy, no plan.


Last morning in the canyon

Wild horse at dawn

A drink to success

18 notches cut - 1 for each river crossing.

2 comments:

Jess Po said...

Well Done Tim... I am seriously impressed with you completing that adventure... me - I would have been scared out of my mind!!!!

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE TIMMY B!!!

I think that Air Land Sea bag is watching over you.Keep walking strong!

Ps: I think that river just needed a pinch of GAAAAA'AAAAAALIC