Friday, May 28, 2010

Fish River Canyon - Day 1

Hard work on the descent but made easier thanks to a 'Bells on the rocks' at 'Sakkie's clip' - A full glass of straight whiskey that must be skulled before passing the huge boulder that sits on the left bank a few km's into the canyon. Who am I to question tradition thus I drunk it down, though I barely managed to keep it down.We didn't make it much further into the canyon then decided to set up camp amongst small rock laden beach. The moon was already high in the sky by dusk and in two days should be at full shine. Box taught me how to find South using the 'Southern Cross' and the two markers. Their experience as a whole has been most assuring for me and I feel much more confident for learning from their 20 odd hikes they have made through the canyon.

I spotted a bunch of 'Fish River Canyon' badges on Sakkie's rucksack, I'm keen to earn one for myself. The stillness of the night was mesmerizing, gazing into the starry night as I drifted off into one of the most peaceful sleeps I can recall.

Bells on the Rocks at Sakkies Clip

Box, Sakkie, Piet, Cornelia & Tinnas



No comments: