Monday, May 31, 2010

Fish River Canyon - Day 4

I went for a swim this afternoon. It is the first time on this whole hike I have voluntarily got into the water. While I lay there floating on my back starring up at the full moon rising over the canyon I realized something. I have the river all wrong. It isn't something I need to conquer, it's something I should embrace. Afterall without it's water I would probably be dying of thirst right now.

Today my arrogance and stubbornness cost me about 3 hours in wasted time, but it could have been a whole lot worse. I didn't read my map correctly after one of the short cuts across a ridge. As a result I tried scaling a 100mtr cliff face which was stupid. About a third way up my hand grip pulled out a huge chunk of rock which tumbled down to the river bank below. I got the signal.... wrong way! I turned back, but it took me 2 more wrong turns until I finally accepted my error and retraced my steps which got me got on track.

I also lost my map on one of the river crossings today. I even watched it float down the river. It was a little distance off when I spotted it and thought it to be a large insect enjoying a free ride. I only realized once I reached the other bank and felt for my map that it was no insect. I figure I'm around the 80km mark so I'm not stressed if anything it just sent me deeper into my thought.

With an early start tomorrow I should be in Ai-Ais before lunchtime.


Moon rising over the canyon

A marker I set up to assist hikers with a river crossing

Here I miss read my map and attempted to scale the cliff on the right of this picture

Disappointment upon realizing the error of my ways

Contrasting rock formations side by side

Upstream view

No comments: