Friday, May 28, 2010

Fish River Canyon - Pre hike

Are there lions in this park?
That was my parting question as I was dropped off into the starry night of the Ai-Ais - Richtersveld national park in southern Namibia. Depending on which opinion I used, I was still either 3km or 10km short of my destination - Hobas camp. It's the starting point for hiking the 'Fish River Canyon' trail, a 90km trek through 'reportedly' the 2nd largest canyon in the world.

Thanks to a half moon I made brisk progress and made it to camp in about 40mins, no lions to report of. There I met an experienced bunch of South African hikers preparing for bed. After some pleasant introductions they kindly welcomed me to join them in their hiking party which was to set off in the morning. I set up my sleeping mat and after a long days travel was soon asleep.

My food supplies for the hike

My drop off point

The Fish River Canyon

1 comment:

Ju said...

Tim this is an incredible achievement and so very glad you made it! What amazing scenery and the serene quietness must have been quite eerie.