Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Nkhata Bay - Lake Malawi

It's just after 8, I'm sitting in a local restaurant waiting for my banana pancake. Restaurants give you time over here, or should that read 'be patient'. Generally the wait is around an hour after ordering. I don't mind so much as it's not like I'm in rush to do things. Today I have made the time allowance deliberately as I'm diving in the lake at 9:30. Not sure what to expect as it's my first fresh water dive since Wraysbury (Heathrow, UK) a muddy dam of about 12 degrees.

I went for a run yesterday. It gave the locals a bit of a shock, voluntary exercise isn't really grasped over here, they thought I was late for something. We're staying at a place called 'Big Blue Star' right on the cliff shore, the views are impressive. When we arrived off the ferry there was a local guy in reception holding a tortoise. He was there for a job interview. One of the guests was quite horrified and negotiated it off him for a dollar, promptly releasing it into the wild. We all watched it waddle back up the hill, no doubt it will be back again soon for another sale.

There is thunder rumbling across the lake and the clouds are rolling in. Hopefully it doesn't mess too much with the visibility on the dive. At least the water is warm, 28 degrees we were told yesterday, very generous. My pancake just arrived, smells delicious. By the way tortoise man got the job.

Views across Lake Malawi

1 comment:

Jane Viner said...

Great to hear you are in another spot with diving - love the "run" story too. Pancake sounded yummy. Love Jane