Friday, February 26, 2010

Mbeya Cafe

I'm sitting at a table in a cafe. It's mid afternoon on a cloudy day. There is a nice green lawn in front of me and over a small fence to my left there are views across the Southern Tanzanian highlands. I can see some rainclouds forming around Mt Loleza.

Yesterday we farewelled Malawi. At the border we didn't have any US currency for the Tanzanian Visa ($50USD). Despite our best efforts in Karonga (the last bank town in northern Malawi) we couldn't get hold of any and we told this to the immigration officer. He was sympathetic to our plight and quickly onto his phone to his dealer. Ten minutes later we were in his back office changing Kwacha for Greenbacks. I couldn't help musing at the official sign above the guys desk - Black market money changing strictly illegal. Overall it was a much smoother border crossing than our last.

The staff are mulling around chatting. I'm the only customer and I've only troubled them with a bottle of coke. I can hear the faint whistle blast from a distant train. We'll be on one tomorrow heading for Dar Es Salam on route to Kilimanjaro. We attempt the mountain in a week or so. I'm a little anxious. Travellers we've met have said that it's the last day that is the tough part. It starts at about 11PM and finished about 4PM the next day. Climbing through the night is what gets you, it's freezing cold they say. A successful ascent should see you summit between 6AM and 8:30AM no later. My uncertainty is mostly around altitude sickness. The mountain peaks at 5900mtrs. None of us have ever been that high, I have no idea how we'll react.

The rainclouds around the mountain are clearing now, some blue sky is peaking through. I'll take it as a good sign.

7 comments:

Ju said...

Will be thinking of the 3 of you next week as you strive to conquer Kili - don't worry if you don't reach the summit _YOU have attempted it that is the main thing!!

Anonymous said...

Jefferson, i am waiting for the next write up from yourself and Jess.Hope you guys haven't joined some tribe and forgotten about the real world.Ps: if you run into chief Obuyagandu...tell him his cooking needs more gaaaaaaalic!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement - can't wait to see the Kilamanjaro photos. Lots of love from both of us, Jane and Wayne

Jane said...

Fantastic news about you all making the summit too.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on two fronts! 1) Making it to the Summit of K2! and of course 2) The engagement!! (Although clearly you could have combined the two) Hope you guys are having an ace time, and congratulations again. I am very jealous of your adventures, however I am off to China for a couple weeks soon teaching, which should be interesting...

Cheers,

Ryan

Anonymous said...

I hear a congrats is in order!!!

Maybe you guys can tie the knot at the same venue as us when you return from your bundu bashing around Africa.

All the best, The Tinkers!!!!

Tim B. said...

Thanks everybody for your well wishes. Jess and I are very happy.