Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Potholes and Sweat

Today for the first time I have braved the front seat. I was apprehensive at first but it ain´t so bad up here, much more leg room. I´ve got a little african kid sitting next to me. He likes my biscuits, but not my bananas, some things are the same everywhere.

Last night was another typical Mozambique evening, humidity levels off the chart. The sweat dripped down my back as I picked off my prey from under my mozquito net. I´ve got my bedtime mozzie technique down now. First I set up the net, stretch it out, tuck it under the mattress at each corner. Then I put my supplies in, head lamp, silk sheet (sleeping bag a waste of time so far), bottle of water and maybe a book. When all is ready I quickly duck under the net and reseal it. Then I put on the headlamp turn it on full and hone in on my targets. You´d think when you first get under the net there wouldn´t be any mozzies... but they are always there... I think they camp out there during the day. The other night I woke up and killed 10 of the barstards. I had left the smallest of gaps.... I won´t make that mistake again.

Our driver just drove through a roadblock rope by accident, it was a withering old piece of twine setup before a bridge, it snapped like a twig. He wasn´t paying attention. The police on patrol are lightening his wallet right now, a few hundred Mets should do it, about $10AUD. On a whole the driver has done well today, it ain´t easy driving in Mozambique. The roads are potholed like Swiss cheese, even those not long laid are crumbling along the edges, as if wild animals come out of the bush at night and nibble on them. We´re on our way to Chomio, I think we´ll get there by lunch.

1 comment:

Ju said...

Glad you have mastered the mozzies and they haven't taken you over!!! What adventures!!